CANTUS NOVUS MEMBERSHIP
Expectations for prospective singers:
• To be sufficiently fluent in music reading to be able to learn music independently and not by ear.
• To have significant previous experience with choral music (good sight-reading skills are a plus) and be aware of tuning and blend.
• To be available for weekly Sunday night rehearsals (6:15-8:30 p.m.) from September through May. Rehearsals are not about learning notes; they are about creating ensemble and making music. Singers are expected to learn their notes and rhythms between rehearsals. Location: St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 47 W. Afton Ave., Yardley, PA.
• To commit to attend all scheduled dress rehearsals and concert performances, barring emergencies. By prior arrangement with the AD, singers may be excused from one concert preparation due to family or work obligations.
• To pay annual dues of $110, pay the cost of your music (ordered for you by CN) and provide your own concert attire (ordering information available at the beginning of each concert season).
• To help with fundraising in one or more ways each semester, such as selling concert tickets, selling program ads, soliciting donations, working on specific fundraiser events, etc.
What you can expect from Cantus Novus:
• To have the opportunity to be a part of a highly skilled small chorus, where all singers matter.
• To enjoy the community of a friendly, multi-generational community of singers who share a passion for making music together.
• To learn and perform wonderful repertoire in a variety of styles and periods.
• To have the chance to improve your vocal skills under the direction of our Artistic Director, Ed McCall.
Auditions may consist of any of the following:
- Perform short prepared solo or excerpt of your choice (aria, art song, folk song) unaccompanied or accompanied.
- Vocalize up and down your range
- "Aural memory" (identifying notes within a chord)
- Brief interview with the Artistic Director
Download audition application and information here (link opens new window)